Apple has released macOS Monterey 12.1 to all Mac users running macOS Monterey. Mac users running Big Sur and Catalina will find Security Updates available as options to install as well.
This is the first point release update for macOS Monterey, and it includes a handful of new features as well as addressing some of the known problems with macOS Monterey that were experienced by some users.
macOS Monterey 12.1 includes support for SharePlay, a feature that allows for sharing content like videos over FaceTime calls. MacOS Monterey 12.1 also resolves the tap-to-click problem experienced by some trackpad users, an issue with MagSafe charging on new M1 Pro and m1 Max computers, some issues with the MacBook Pro Notch on M1 Pro and M1 Max, and more. A variety of other bug fixes and small improvements have been made to macOS Monterey 12.1, with the full release notes available further below.
MacOS Monterey 12.1 does not include support for Universal Control, the feature which allows for a single Mac keyboard and mouse to control multiple Macs or iPads, however. That hotly anticipated feature is apparently now delayed until “spring 2022” according to Apple.
How to Download MacOS Monterey 12.1 Update
Be sure to backup the Mac with Time Machine before installing the software update.
- Go to the Apple menu and select “System Preferences”
- Choose “Software Update”
- Choose to “Install Now” the macOS Monterey 12.1 update
Installing macOS Monterey 12.1 will require the Mac to reboot.
Mac users who are not running macOS Monterey will find macOS Big Sur 11.6.2 and Security Update 2021-008 Catalina available as possibilities to install instead.
If you have been waiting to install macOS Monterey until the first major update was available to the Mac system software release, now is your time. Or, you could always continue to delay the Monterey update until later, when a compelling feature like Universal Control is available.
macOS Monterey 12.1 Release Notes
macOS Monterey 12.1 adds SharePlay, an entirely new way to have shared experiences with family and friends in FaceTime. This update also includes the Apple Music Voice Plan, new safety features for children and parents in Messages, redesigned Memories in Photos, and other features and bug fixes for your Mac.
– SharePlay is a new way to share synchronized experiences in FaceTime with content from the Apple TV app, Apple
Music, and other supported apps
– Shared controls give everyone the ability to pause, play, rewind or fast forward
– Smart volume automatically lowers the audio of a movie, TV show or song when you or your friends speak
– Screen sharing lets everyone on a FaceTime call look at photos, browse the web, or help each other out
Apple Music Voice Plan
– Apple Music Voice Plan is a new subscription tier that gives you access to all songs, playlists, and stations in
Apple Music using Siri
– Just Ask Siri suggests music based on your listening history and likes or dislikes
– Play it Again lets you access a list of your recently played music
– Memories has been redesigned with a new interactive interface, new animation and transition styles, and multiple image collages
– New Memory types include additional international holidays, child-focused memories, trends over time, and improved pet memories
– Communication safety setting gives parents the ability to enable warnings for children when they receive or send photos that contain nudity
– Safety warnings contain helpful resources for children when they receive photos that contain nudity
Siri and Search
– Expanded guidance in Siri, Spotlight and Safari Search to help children and parents stay safe online and get help with unsafe situations
– Digital Legacy allows you to designate people as Legacy Contacts so they can access your iCloud account and personal information in the event of your death
– Store tab lets you browse, buy, and rent movies and TV Shows all in one place
This release also includes the following enhancements for your Mac:
-Hide My Email is available in the Mail app for iCloud+ subscribers to create unique, random email addresses
-Stocks allows you to view the currency for a ticker and see year-to-date performance when viewing charts
-Reminders and Notes now allow you to delete or rename tags
This release also includes bug fixes for your Mac:
-Desktop and Screen Saver may appear blank after selecting photos from the Photos library
-Trackpad could become unresponsive to taps or clicks
-External displays may not charge some MacBook Pro and MacBook Air computers when connected using Thunderbolt or USB-C
-HDR video playback on YouTube.com could cause 2021 MacBook Pro computers to panic
-Menu bar extras may be obscured by the camera housing on 2021 MacBook Pro computers
-MagSafe may stop charging on 2021 16-inch MacBook Pro computers when lid is closed and system is shut down
Separately, Apple has also released iOS 15.2 for iPhone, and iPadOS 15.2 for iPad, along with watchOS 8.3 for Apple Watch, and tvOS 15.2 for Apple TV.