Alright, here is a weird one.
Have AT&T Fiber (1gbps) for the house. Running a CAT5 from wall to desktop. When we first set it up (around two weeks ago), I tested the speed and clocked it at ~880mbps, which I was ecstatic about. Started a download the other day and noticed a large delay, checked my speed and it is at ~90mbps upload/download. Checked my roommates computer and he is clocking ~900mbps…
So here is what I know so far:
- Tried a few different CAT5 cables and saw no difference in speed. Seems to be capping below 100mbps.
- Ethernet Status > General under speed field reads 100 Mbps.
- Ethernet Status > Properties > Configure > Advanced > Speed & Duplex is set to “Auto Negotiation”, just like my roommates. When I try and set it to “1 Gbps Full Duplex” I lose latency / internet and have to run the gambit on establishing ethernet again.
- WiFi runs at ~180mbps upload / download.
- Ethernet drivers are up to date.
How can I go about diagnosing this? If I had just turned on my machine when it was first built I would have tacked this to the motherboard, but could be a router issue. Any advice is welcome, I am a networking noob.