- You can now move your WhatsApp chat history to Telegram.
- The feature was added to Telegram’s iOS app.
- It’s still not available on Android.
Telegram introduced the new message history import tool on its iOS app yesterday. It came bundled with version 7.4 of the app. The update notes for the version read as follows:
Telegram soon issued another update with version number 7.4.1 that deleted the migration tool’s mention. However, you’ll still be able to import chats over from WhatsApp.
How to export WhatsApp chats to Telegram
To transfer your WhatsApp chat history to Telegram, you will need the latest versions of both apps. Once you have that, you can follow the steps below to import your chats from WhatsApp to Telegram.
Note that there is no way of batch importing conversations. You’ll have to move over individual chats from WhatsApp to Telegram. That said, here are the steps that’ll help you do so.
- Open WhatsApp and tap on the chat you want to export
- Head into the contact info menu and select “Export chat”
- You’ll now see an option to “Attach Media” or “Without Media”
- Choose your preferred option
- Now choose Telegram from the sharing menu and select the contact you want to assign the imported chat to
- You’ll now see a prompt to import messages. Select “Import”
To know more about Telegram and how it works, you can head to our dedicated guide here.