⚡ Welcome to The Weekly Authority, the Android Authority publication that breaks down the highest Android and tech information from the week. The 204th version right here, with Pixel 6 pre-orders, a confirmed Unpacked date, OnePlus 10T launch date, a clip from The Final of Us: Half 1, and extra!
- Northvolt AB plans to make use of carbon in wooden from Nordic forests to cut back price and environmental impression.
- Working with Stora Enso Oyj, a Finnish forestry firm, it should use lignin to create the anodes for its batteries, fully sourced from uncooked supplies.
Lignin is “a plant-derived polymer discovered within the cell partitions of dry-land vegetation.”
- Timber are composed of 20-30% lignin.
- It’s one of many planet’s greatest renewable sources of carbon.
- Stora Enso is the most important kraft lignin producer on this planet, making 50,000 tons a yr at its Sunila web site in Finland. The lignin is used to create the corporate’s anode materials, Lignode.
How are lignin-based batteries made?
- Throughout the manufacturing of cellulose fibers, lignin is separated from wooden, earlier than being refined into a light-weight carbon powder.
- This powder is then made into electrode sheets earlier than being mixed with different battery parts.
- The ensuing materials can be utilized to exchange graphite, normally required for lithium-ion batteries to operate.
Are wood-based batteries the longer term?
Virtually all our transportable electronics, resembling smartphones and tablets, use lithium-ion batteries.
- As of late many EVs are additionally powered by lithium-ion batteries.
- With the world anticipated to see over 25 million EVs on the street by the tip of 2022, it’s clear we have to have a look at alternate options to lithium-ion batteries.
- As a result of graphite is shaped by a chemical response that takes place in unrenewable carbon compounds, it’s not a sustainable materials.
- Tesla must mine over 1 million tonnes of graphite to fulfill manufacturing targets of 20 million EVs yearly.
- Corporations like Aptera have already checked out alternate options resembling solar-powered automobiles.
- However may lignin-based batteries be the answer the world has been searching for?
Why are wood batteries extra sustainable?
There are a variety of explanation why these wood batteries are higher for the planet:
- They’re sustainable: Supplies can be sourced from sustainability-certified European forests.
- They’re scalable: Timber are a broadly obtainable pure useful resource, that means these batteries might be produced commercially.
- They’re renewable: Most lithium-ion batteries are manufactured in China, however utilizing pure sources would change all this.
- They cost quicker: Stora Enso claims a lignode battery has the capability for quicker charging than fossil-fuel-powered batteries.
- They’re higher at decrease temperatures: Lithium-ion batteries are recognized to overheat, inflicting issues about their use in EVs and bigger automobiles. These wood batteries are operational beneath cooler temperatures, making them a more sensible choice for automotive use.
Northvolt started its first shipments to automakers in Might, so we may see these batteries getting used extra broadly within the coming months…
- July 28: Pixel 6a launch
- July 28: Asus Zenfone 9 launch
- August 2: Motorola Razr and X30 Professional launch (China)
- August 3 @ 10 AM EDT: OnePlus 10T launch
- August 10: Samsung Unpacked (Galaxy Z Flip 4, Fold 4, Galaxy Watch 5 and Watch 5 Professional?)
- September 2-6: IFA Berlin
- September 10 @ 9 PM CEST: Ubisoft Ahead showcase
- November 8: Cranium and Bones launch date on Xbox Collection S/X, PS5, PC, Stadia, and Luna
- November 9: God of Warfare: Ragnarok launches on PS4, PS5
Tech Tweet of the Week
Seems, actual cats are loving Stray, and there’s even a Twitter account devoted to the pattern: